HOMETOWN: Carneys Point, NJ
DATE OF BIRTH: September 17, 1994
COLLEGE: University of Maryland
TEAM: Boston Red Sox Minor League System
- Baseball America ranked Shawaryn the eighth overall prospect in the Red Sox system and the fifth pitching prospect entering 2018
- Shawaryn averaged 11.3 strikeouts per nine innings in his first full professional season during 2017, posting a 3.81 ERA between Class A Greenville and High A Salem
- Shawaryn made his professional debut with the Short Season Class A Lowell Spinners of the New York Penn League, recording a 2.87 ERA in six starts, and 22 strikeouts through 15.2 innings pitched
- Forgoing his senior season following his selection in the 2016 MLB Draft, Shawaryn left Maryland holding five school records including 13 single season wins, 138 single season strikeouts, 30 career wins, 307 career strikeouts and 307.1 career innings pitched
- Following the 2015 season, Shawaryn secured a roster spot on the USA Baseball Collegiate National Team, becoming the first player from Maryland to do so since 1979
- First-Team All American honors (2015)
- Team USA Collegiate National Baseball Team Member (2015)
OFF THE FIELD HIGHLIGHTS:
- Shawaryn comes from a family full of athletes—his father, Michael, played football at Gettysburg College, while his sister, Kaitlyn, played rugby at the same institution
- As an accomplished jazz musician growing up, Shawaryn put the saxophone and piano aside to chase his dream of becoming a professional baseball player
- Shawaryn is a huge Philadelphia Eagles fan
- Maryland Baseball: Mike Shawaryn making noise in South Atlantic League – FanSided
- Q&A: Mike Shawaryn talks about Team USA experience – Maryland Baseball Network
- Shawaryn a star off field too – South Jersey Sports Digest
• Rusney Castillo led the Pawtucket Red Sox in batting (.314), doubles (22) and stolen bases (14).
• Mike Shawaryn finished 9th among all players in minor league baseball with 169 strikeouts. He went 8-7 with a 3.81 ERA in 134 innings at Greenville (A) and Salem (High-A).
• Jason Martin hit .278 with 18 home runs and 35 doubles in 125 games between Class A and AA.
• Marcus Wilson batted .295 with 21 doubles, 9 homers and 54 RBI with Class A Kane County, ranking in the top three on the team in each of those catecories.
• Catcher Jacob Nottingham had 21 doubles and 9 home runs for Class AA Biloxi, and was promoted to Class AAA Colorado Springs for the playoffs.
• Dustin Peterson hit 17 doubles and had 78 hits in 87 games with the AAA Gwinnett Braves.
• D.J. Peterson hit 16 home runs with 63 RBI playing with the AAA affiliates of the Seattle Mariners and Chicago White Sox.
• After being promoted to High-A Bradenton in July Stephen Alemais batted .317 with 32 hits and 20 RBI in 30 games.
• Josh Morgan hit .270 with 30 extra base hits for High-A Down East, finishing strong by batting .375 over the final 14 games of the season.
• Jacob Nottingham has hit four home runs in the last six games
• Rusney Castillo is batting .364 with three doubles and two homers in his current 8-game hitting streak
• Mike Shawaryn has a 2.25 ERA and 22 K’s in 20 innings over his last three starts
• Jason Martin is 6-for-15 (.400) with three doubles and a home run over the last four games
• Marcus Wilson has reached base safely in 20 straight games, batting .356 in that stretch
• Stephen Alemais is batting .365 with five extra-base hits and 10 RBI in the last 13 games
Josh Morgan is batting .370 during his current 7-game hitting streak
Over his last two starts, Mike Shawaryn has a 3.00 ERA while recording 13 strikeouts in 12 innings
DJ Peterson has reached base safely in 12 of 15 games during the month of August
In his last 9 games, Stephen Alemais is batting .382 with 10 RBI
Marcus Wilson has reached base safely in 15 straight games, posting a .370 average and a .460 OBP in that stretch
Roc Nation Sports Farm Report: 7/21
Dominic Smith leads all players in minor league baseball with 129 hits. He’s batting .334 with 13 HR and 64 RBI on the season.
Rusney Castillo is on a current 5-game hitting streak, and he has hit safely in 24 of the last 27 games.
Dustin Peterson is batting .357 in the month of July.
Josh Morgan has 8 hits in his last 16 at bats and is batting .327 in July.
Jason Martin is 10-for-21 with 4 doubles and 4 homers in his last 6 games.
Mike Shawaryn has a 1.26 ERA and 35 strikeouts in 28.2 innings in his last 5 starts
Roc Nation Sports Farm Report: 7/14
Rusney Castillo started in CF for the International League in the Triple-A All Star game and had two hits, a RBI and a stolen base
Dustin Peterson is batting .472 (17-for-36) in the month of July
DJ Peterson is hitting .364 with a homer and 3 doubles over his last nine games
Mike Shawaryn is 3-0 with a 0.76 ERA and has 26 strikeouts in 23.2 innings in his last four starts,
Dominic Smith has hit safely in 25 of the last 26 games, batting .373 with 5 HR and 8 doubles in that stretch
Josh Morgan is batting .333 in his last 10 games, with four multi-hit games in that span
Marcus Wilson has a current 5-game hitting streak
Jacob Nottingham was named the Brewers’ minor league Player of the Month in June after batting .317 with a .391 OBP and a .533 SLG in 18 games.
Mike Shawaryn is 3-0 with a 0.53 ERA in his last three starts with the Salem Red Sox. His 109 strikeouts in 2017 rank 6th among all players in minor league baseball.
Rusney Castillo was named to the AAA All Star Game. He’s hitting .305 with 9 HR, 17 2B, 28 RBI and 13 SB in 2017.
Dustin Peterson is on a current 5-game hitting streak, batting .400 in that stretch.[video width="1280" height="720" mp4="https://rocnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Dustin-Peterson.mp4"][/video] DJ Peterson has 10 hits in his last 21 at bats (.476), including 2 doubles, 1 triple and 1 home run.
Dominic Smith has hit safely in 21 of the last 22 games, posting a .365 average with 4 HR and 17 RBI.
Marcus Wilson leads class A Kane County in home runs (8), slugging (.485) and OPS (.879).
Josh Morgan is 4-for-10 with two doubles and a home run since coming off the disabled list on July 3rd.
Rusney Castillo has reached base safely in 19 straight games, batting .420 with a .468 OBP in that stretch
Dominic Smith has a current 15-game hitting streak in which he’s batting .370
Jason Martin is batting .333 with 4 HR and 12 RBI in 22 games since being promoted to AA[video width="1280" height="720" mp4="https://rocnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/jmart.mp4"][/video]
Jacob Nottingham is batting .375 with 2 HR and 3 doubles in his last 10 games
Mike Shawaryn picked up his first win since being promoted to to High-A, allowing 1 ER in 6 IP in a 6-1 win over Wilmington on 6/25
Marcus Wilson continues to lead Class-A Kane County in HR (8), RBI (37) and runs (36)